Sunday, June 3, 2012

Guest post by Author Tera Fulbright: Being a mother and a writer

First off, thank you Janine, for asking me to guest blog on your site! For those that do not know me, my name is Tera Fulbright and I am: author, mom, con-runner. My most recent short story, "Anne Bonnie's Child" was recently released in Spells and Swashbucklers by Dragon Moon Press, and is available on Amazon. Janine asked me to write a guest post for her blog about being a mom and writer. It took me a while to figure out what to write about being a mom and a writer. Until I realized several of the skills that I use for being a "mommy" also work in writing. More than anything, I suppose the one constant for me being a mom and writer is the word PATIENCE. Between finding time to write and raising a quizzical 4 year old (aka. the Geeklet), I am constantly reminding myself that the world will not end tomorrow…be patient. One of the biggest challenges about being a mom, author and having a full-time job (that isn't writing) is finding time to write. It is always a constant balance between the duties of the real world and to quote the blog Magical Words: BIC – Butt in Chair. As a result, I have been working on my first novel for two years. Interestingly, many of the same skills I use for being a mommy, I also use as a writer. Of course, I have already mentioned patience, but organization, coming up with creative ideas and time management skills are three others. Keeping things organized as a mommy comes from keeping a house full of toys from taking over (which still seems to be happening!) but I've learned to use the same skills in keeping my writing organized. After losing part of the novel, I now have about three places I keep copies of my writing: thumb drive, computer, and Dropbox. I also carry a notebook with me at all times in case I have an idea or thought I want to write down at work, while shopping or watching TV. I do the same thing in terms of presents for the Geeklet – though I use pictures on my phone for th [...]

Thanks for reading! Please leave any comments on the site: http://www.waroftheseasons.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment