Sunday, July 22, 2012

Goodbye to Rachel Reid

People die every day - and though we've all seen it, experienced it, gone through it, it's important to remember that everybody is someone to somebody. Well, Rachel Reid is someone to me. She was my friend, a surrogate mom, and one of the most beautiful people I've ever had the honor and privilege to know. As I sit here, drinking the peach tea Rachel gave me, from the mug Rachel gave my daughter, I'm trying to reflect, come up with words to express how I'm feeling right now. It's hard. This isn't the first time I've lost someone I loved - heck, loss is why I even wrote War of the Seasons, The Human, to begin with. But that doesn't make it any easier. I first met Rachel and Ron following my 2nd deployment to Iraq in 2008 (and my husband's deployment to Afghanistan, at the same time). I wanted to take my husband (also named Ron) to some place special for our 7th anniversary, and I knew that we would need a quiet/calm place to decompress for a bit. We'd always loved Western North Carolina, but the B&B we normally went to in Waynesville, had closed. We were referred to the Andon-Reid Inn by the old B&B owners, and were not disappointed. [...]

Thanks for reading! Please leave any comments on the site: http://www.waroftheseasons.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment